Creamy Ranch Dressing and Dip

Creamy Ranch | Don't Panic MomI don’t keep Hidden Valley Ranch in the house. I stopped buying it after I realized that any time I ate some, the roof of my mouth was coated with a weird greasy film. But I’m sure I’ve consumed a gallon of that stuff while growing up. Now when we’re in the mood for a creamy dip, we make it ourselves. It can be annoying to make my own salad dressing. So to remind myself why I’m making this from scratch, I just have to do a little label reading to shock me back into the kitchen:

hvr_orig_nutrients_ranch
This image below is from HiddenValley.com.

In case you haven’t seen a bottle lately, you’re missing a lot. You’re missing a lot of soybean oil and a smidgen of MSG (among other treasures to extend it’s shelf life beyond that of a Galapagos tortoise.)

Start with some natural sour cream and fat free plain Greek Yogurt.

Plain-Yogurt

Stir in dried chives, parsley, and dill. Finish with garlic powder and salt to taste.

Dumping-in-Spices

Finally, drizzle in lemon juice until you’ve reached your perfect consistency. I leave it thicker when I’m using it for a dip.

Thin-out-ranch-with-lemonWhisk away, lovely mamma!

RanchServe this as a dip, spread, or dressing.

Little-A-Ranch

My kids love it when I’m posting recipes. They pounce as soon as I’m done taking pics. Unless you are my angelic two-year-old. She just jumps right in.Little-Plates

I didn’t have to twist any arms to get these kids to eat veggies. Presentation is a key.Adele-eating-cucumber

Creamy Ranch Dressing and Dip

Yield: About 1 Cup

Creamy Ranch Dressing and Dip

Ingredients

• 1/2 Cup Natural Sour Cream
  • 1/2 Cup Fat Free Plain Greek Yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon each Dried Chives, Dill, and Parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
  • 1-3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
  • Salt to taste

Instructions

• Whisk together all ingredients except for the salt and lemon juice. When the herbs are well incorporated, start adding lemon juice until you reach your preferred consistency. Start with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and taste. Continue to add in 1/4 teaspoons of salt until you've found your perfect taste. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.

Notes

This can be a starting point for your family's favorite dressing. Experiment with ratios of sour cream and yogurt or with different dried herbs.

7 Comment

1. lisazmfa says:

I love these dips and dressings! I avoid buying anything at a grocery store (even Vitamin Cottage) that has a paragraph of ingredients. John makes a creamy avocado dressing that, like your recipes, is deliciously simple 🙂
    By the way, your photographs are stunning.

1. Alli says:

Creamy avocado sounds amazing. Can you send the recipe to share with readers? I’ll feature it in a few days… you know, after I get my hands on a ripe avocado.

2. Alice says:

Thanks for the recipe. Just yesterday I was craving broccoli with Ranch Dip but didn’t want to use store bought and wondered if there was a homemade recipe. And now I know there is!

1. Alli says:

Hey Alice! This recipe is a good place to start with homemade ranch. If it’s still too thick after you added the lemon-you can always thin it out with milk.I’ve also added different died herbs like oregano and basil. Have fun getting your broccoli fix! So glad you stopped by!

3. Valerie says:

Thanks for the recipe; it will be fun to try. Have started trying to make my own dressings…..started with Thousand Island, which is the hubs’ favorite, because I was tired of him using a quarter of the nasty bottled stuff each time he ate salad. :oP Pretty much just did equal amounts of mayo (which I’ll hopefully start making from scratch soon as well), ketchup (which I do make) and pickle relish. Might try some different flavorings/herbs in the future but for now he’s pretty happy with keeping it simple. Now I can add a simple ranch dressing to our supply so that my boys can eat it to their hearts’ content! Thanks again!!

1. Alli says:

Simple is good! Way to go Valerie!

4. Valerie says:

Finally got a chance to make the ranch dip and it was met with approval by everyone, especially Silas…..I’ve never seen him eat veggies so readily! And it was so nice not having to worry about giving him all that he wanted, cause I didn’t have to worry about limiting chemicals like I do with the store-bought ranch. Thanks so much for the recipe!

Comments are closed.